的 Master of Arts in History at 能力
Director of Graduate Studies: Dr. Douglas Kanter
的 MA program in History is designed to prepare graduates for doctoral work in history; for museum 而且 public history work; for employment in education, government, or industry; for admission to law school; to qualify instructors in history for community college teaching; 而且 to enhance historical skills 而且 content for secondary school social studies teachers.
的 program features concentrations in European, U.S., 而且 World History, all of which are particular strengths in our department. Students also have the opportunity to conduct research in 能力 Library's Weiner Spirit of America Collection, one of the nation's best collections of primary sources in the areas of American 而且 Atlantic World history from the fifteenth century to the modern era. 的re are also opportunities to pursue study in Public History 而且 to participate in our internship program.
We have both thesis 而且 non-thesis options, 而且 offer financial aid through a number of Graduate Teaching Assistantships 而且 Provost Fellowships that are available to our most outst而且ing applicants. Qualified MA students are eligible for several graduate awards, 而且 membership in the History Honor Society, Phi Alpha 的ta.
- Each applicant should have a BA degree in History from an accredited institution. Applicants who did not major in history may be required to complete successfully additional appropriate undergraduate coursework in history before being admitted to the graduate program.
- Applicants must have a minimum 3.0 grade point average (GPA) for the last 60 credit hours attempted.
- Applicants should have a minimum score of 155 on the verbal 而且 a 4.0 on the analytical sections of the Graduate Record Examination (GRE).
- If an applicant's scores fall below this threshold, but has a GPA well over the 3.0 minimum, the department may consider the quantitative section for purposes of meeting the GRE criterion.
Domestic students: Applications for Fall admission are due by June 1, 而且 for the Spring by October 15. For students seeking Teaching Assistantships, the application deadline for Fall admission is February 15, 而且 the Spring deadline is September 15.
International students: February 15 is the deadline for Fall semester, 而且 July 15 is the deadline for Spring semester.
C而且idates must submit the following:
- An online application form
- Application fee. 的re is a nonrefundable application fee of $30.00. With the exception of McNair, McKnight 而且 Fulbright Scholars, all applicants, including former 能力 students, are required to pay the application fee.
- Writing sample. A term paper or a lengthy essay. You will be prompted to upload this document as part of the online application.
- Autobiographical statement. A 2-3 page statement, explaining the reasons you wish to pursue the MA degree. You will be prompted to upload this document as part of the online application.
- Two letters of recommendation. As part of the online application form, you will be asked to provide the names 而且 contact information of at least two recommenders, preferably your history professors. 的se references will then be contacted directly by 能力.
Official transcripts. Official transcripts from the Registrar of each college or university you have attended are to be sent directly to the Graduate College, Florida Atlantic University, SU-80, Room 101, 777 Glades Rd., Boca Raton, FL 33431.
- All students who have attended a college/university outside the U.S. must have a professional transcript evaluation by a member of the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (南汽) Transcript evaluations should be sent directly to the Graduate College.
- GRE scores. Send these scores directly to the Graduate College, Florida Atlantic University, SU-80, Room 101, 777 Glades Rd., Boca Raton, FL 33431. 的 能力 school code is 5229.
- HIS 5060 - 的 Historical Experience: all students must complete this course in their first semester if they enter in the fall, 而且 in their second semester if they enter in the spring.
Foreign Language: all students must demonstrate competency in at least one foreign language
. It is the student's responsibility to fulfill this requirement. Students in the thesis track may not apply for admission to c而且idacy until they have fulfilled this requirement.
To fulfill the language requirement, History MA c而且idates must complete one of the following the three options:
- Passing one semester at the intermediate level (2220) of a foreign language at 能力 or the equivalent at another university as determined by the History Department's Graduate Committee.
- Passing an equivalency exam at the 2220 level.
- Passing the graduate Reading for Research course (French 5060, Spanish 5060, or German 5060).
- Coursework: All courses must be taken at the 5000 or 6000 level in readings 而且 research seminars in major 而且 minor areas of interest ; graduate students may not take undergraduate courses for graduate credit
- Completion of Plan of Study Form: All students in the M.A. program in history must file with the Graduate College a Plan of Study upon completion of 9 credits of qualified course work. This form is completed by the student in consultation with the graduate director. 的 forms for completion can be accessed through the Graduate College website ( failure to file these forms as required will prevent the student from graduating ).
- Advisement: Students should meet at least once a semester with the Director of Graduate Studies in order to plan their program of study 而且 to ensure that all requirements for the M.A. in History degree program are being met.
的 Master of Arts in History has both a thesis track 而且 a non-thesis track.
All graduate students are admitted on the non-thesis track. Following completion of 9 hours of graduate study, those students wishing to pursue the thesis track must petition the Director of Graduate Studies. Once students are granted thesis track status, they must work in conjunction with the director to create a thesis committee.
- 的 thesis track requires 30 credit hours, with a minimum of 24 hours of graduate course work in readings 而且 research seminars, 而且 the completion of a M.A. thesis, for which a minimum of 6 additional credits must be earned.
- 的 non-thesis track requires a total of 36 credit hours of graduate course work. Students must also pass a comprehensive examination during the final term of study.
For More Information 提交 the Form Below: